**Prints are available. Please leave a comment for more information.**

Friday, May 21, 2010

Eat Pray Love and Read

I love reading. It’s been my constant companion for years now, whether it’s sitting on a warm comfy couch, with a warm fire blazing in the fireplace, on a window seat trying to grab some warmth from a wary sun, on a plane bound for yet another new adventure or sitting in the sun, basking in the suns glory, books have kept me company. I don’t travel with people very often. I don’t find that I can. I am a spontaneous type of person that loves to take things as they come, and not to plan too far in advance because I might miss something in the meantime.

Books make me cry, they make me laugh, and they make me think. But every so often, they make me revaluate the way that I see the world, and the way that I see myself. When I find a book that does this for me, I’m excited and want to share it with the world in the hopes that it does the same for everyone else, but I now realize that as much as I crave that, it doesn’t happen very often. A few people may enjoy it, a few may even pass it on to someone else, but only a select number of people, if any will get the same feeling from it that I do.

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert is one of those books. From the multitude of people that have read and fallen in love with this book, I know that there are many that feel my gratitude for such a remarkable story to be told. While it is not a story of great love and great loss, or wars and famine, or even vampires and werewolves, it is a story that heralds from all of our hearts – it’s just one that not all of us listen to. It’s a tale of letting go, letting go of the past, of the guilt, of the loves lost, and the loves unrequited. It’s a play by play of a woman who had everything that anyone should want, just to realize it’s not what everyone should want. And what do you do when you realize that everything you have ever worked for, is no longer making you happy, and is instead filling you with a constant source of dread and longing for what you do not have?

Enter one woman who left everything that any ‘sane and normal’ woman could ever asked for, and asked for what more of us should want – the opportunity to live and love without the guilt, without the baggage and without the cares that the modern world inflicts on us. And saying this, I recommend this book thoroughly for anyone who loves to travel – for in the love of travel is the inherent dream of something new, something different and something that we never knew we wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have never felt my feet firmly planted on the ground.  When I was a child, I would dream of far away places filled with jumping kangaroos and gladiators.  I took my first trip when I was 19, running away from my issues and neglecting to deal with skeletons in my closet.  

Since then I have returned to my first home, and have found that while it has a special place in my heart, it is no longer home.

So I roam the planet, looking for a place for me to plant my feet, and find a home.  Will I find it in this life time?  I'll never know until I find it.  But I will continue looking for it, until my last breath.

These are my journeys.