**Prints are available. Please leave a comment for more information.**

Friday, April 16, 2010

Volcanic Ash Stops More Europe Flights

Updated information from National Geographic regarding the continuing cancellation of flights to and from Europe, due to an Icelandic Volcano erupting.

First we have H1N1, then we have earthquakes and mudslides that have rocked the world, and now we have our second batch of cancelled flights due to volcanic eruptions, the first happening in the Pacific ocean, cancelling flights to Japan. What will happen next?


James Owen in London
for National Geographic News
Published April 15, 2010

Airline flights to, from, and within northern Europe have been cancelled today because of fears that a vast cloud of volcanic ash spreading from an Iceland volcano could bring down passenger planes (map of northern Europe).

British airports are completely closed to civilian aircraft following latest eruptions from the Eyjafjallajökull volcano. (Pictures: Iceland Volcano Erupts, Under Ice This Time.)

Thousands of flights have likewise been cancelled to and from Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Denmark as affected countries close airspace in response to the volcanic cloud, which is currently drifting at altitudes of 25,000 to 30,000 feet (7,620 to 9,140 meters).

(See aerial pictures of the Iceland volcano's earlier eruption.)

To see the rest of the article, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have never felt my feet firmly planted on the ground.  When I was a child, I would dream of far away places filled with jumping kangaroos and gladiators.  I took my first trip when I was 19, running away from my issues and neglecting to deal with skeletons in my closet.  

Since then I have returned to my first home, and have found that while it has a special place in my heart, it is no longer home.

So I roam the planet, looking for a place for me to plant my feet, and find a home.  Will I find it in this life time?  I'll never know until I find it.  But I will continue looking for it, until my last breath.

These are my journeys.