**Prints are available. Please leave a comment for more information.**

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Time To Reflect


With the passing of another St. Patrick's Day, I found my self looking at different things than I had in the past.  

Whereas North American's celebrate St Patty's day as a day for drinking green beer and wearing green, in Ireland, this is not the case.

They do like a good reason to celebrate, and will have celebrations for the 6 days prior in Dublin, but they won't be seen wearing green any more than any other day.  And they do wear a lot of green on an every day basis!

Instead, they will wear a bunch of irish shamrocks (not four leaf clovers) on the breast of their shirts or jackets to symbolize the teachings of the holy trinity by St. Patrick.  And while he wasn't actually made a saint my the church, St Patrick is one of the most well known saints.

I bring this up due to the shift in my perception of culture and history.  On my last trip over, I discovered that I had more than just ancestry that had come from Ireland - but that I still had family ties.  Ties that I had never realized that I had until about three weeks ago.

And now I feel an unbelievable pull towards Ireland, it's cultures, history and traditions, as I feel like I have finally found something that gives me roots on this wonderful world.  Where will this mean that I go next?  I really have no idea.  Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have never felt my feet firmly planted on the ground.  When I was a child, I would dream of far away places filled with jumping kangaroos and gladiators.  I took my first trip when I was 19, running away from my issues and neglecting to deal with skeletons in my closet.  

Since then I have returned to my first home, and have found that while it has a special place in my heart, it is no longer home.

So I roam the planet, looking for a place for me to plant my feet, and find a home.  Will I find it in this life time?  I'll never know until I find it.  But I will continue looking for it, until my last breath.

These are my journeys.