**Prints are available. Please leave a comment for more information.**

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

When the Going Gets Snowy...

It seems that March has gone in like a lamb and is going out like one hell of a lion here lately.  And while the weather outside might be just a little bit frightening, it's bringing back memories of a place that doesn't seem so far away when some Katchafire is playing on the radio (or cd player) and I'm staring at my one picture (that takes up a full wall I swear) that depicts nothing but the ocean out a window.

And while I stare at that, my thoughts wander to the little town of Mount Maunganui, a small resort and surfing town where the populations swells by about four times it's regular amount during the summer months - that kiwis tend to think are still too short!

The Mount towers over the peninsula of population like an overbearing parent and provides shade in the heat, and an amazing playground for children of all ages.  Climbing to the top gives those willing to bear the brunt of the climb with amazing 360 degree views, while for the less adventurous, there are the hot pools that are nestled at the base of the mount.  

These hot pools are full all year round, from the winter months and those that have spent the day kayaking down white water rivers in frigid glacial water, to those of us who just want to soak up the heat, while glimpsing the stars when the wind picks up slightly - blowing the fog away for a moment.

With a beach that stretches for kilometers, that can be perfect for sea kayaking, wind surfing, sailing, boating or even surfing, and a small town centre that boasts a multitude of cafes overlooking the beach (where dolphins can be seen on perfect days), this is one reincarnation of heaven.  

Long days spent with a coffee overlooking the beach, after a walk around the mount to break a sweat, with a soak in the hot pools later - what could be better?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have never felt my feet firmly planted on the ground.  When I was a child, I would dream of far away places filled with jumping kangaroos and gladiators.  I took my first trip when I was 19, running away from my issues and neglecting to deal with skeletons in my closet.  

Since then I have returned to my first home, and have found that while it has a special place in my heart, it is no longer home.

So I roam the planet, looking for a place for me to plant my feet, and find a home.  Will I find it in this life time?  I'll never know until I find it.  But I will continue looking for it, until my last breath.

These are my journeys.